Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fishing




What happened to February? I haven't written anything since January and all I can remember is that this was a cold winter for coastal SC and I suppose I was inside reading or walking on the beach looking for signs of spring. Well, it is here! Today my brother and I spent another delightful day on the Combahee River in his jon boat.He caught the first fish, a small bass and released it. Some hours later my rod bent way over and I had a much bigger bass which I kept. It was actually 2 and a quarter pounds and I'm sitting here still covered with fish scales but will have fish and grits tomorrow!

That was it for the fish but the blackberry vines were blooming, the deciduous trees have new leaves and the wildlife was abundant. We saw nesting ospreys. When a parent presented the babies with a fish we could hear the little ones but they were too deep in the nest to see. There were vultures, cormorants, hawks, herons, little wrens and many we could not identify.The gators were all over the place with one bull gator longer than out 17 ft. boat.

I'll add photos later.

No comments: