Thursday, November 20, 2008

Last Day on Cape

This is our last day in Cape Town. Susan and I took a township tour this morning and that was an eye opening experience.In one of the older townships three family live in a tiny three bedroom structure which has a toilet, no shower and a sink out in the common room for washing clothes or cooking.The tiny bedroom we saw had a family of five living in it. Two children slept on the floor.Some of the shantytowns still have no electricity but the government has put in a row of porta-potties.Today was hot! About 32C. which is mid-90's in Fahrenheit. We tried shopping downtown at the Green Market but it was just too hot.There is little AC here. We have it in our room but not all rooms have AC.

In addition to touring the townships, we visited a museum dedicated to the former residents of the 6th Ward who were displaced because the government wanted to move the blacks out of the city to the periphery. It is slowly being built back now with those who were displaced the first to qualify for the houses .The old structures were bulldozed down, often with the belongings in them.A sad chapter in their history so much like our own history of segregation before the Civil Rights movement.I continue to be impressed with the cheerfulness and hope of the South Africans I have met.Today I wore my Obama tee shirt and everyone wanted it. Luckily, I still had a few buttons left to give away which they put on immediately.

There is excitement about the World Cup in soccer in 2010 and the airports have large countdown clocks. Our inn in just across from where the new soccer stadium is being built.

In the morning we drive to Hermanus where we will whale watch among other things.I don't know if we will have Internet access again before we leave next Wednesday.Look for photos when I get home and download them. I hope I have some good ones. I took a number of the car mirror when we were in Kruger.

No comments: