Sunday, November 30, 2008

The last days in South Africa

I thought I had posted an entry before we left but it didn't go through. The hotel had been having trouble with Internet. We spent the last two days of our trip in Langebann, north of Cape Town. We stayed in the Farmhouse Hotel which was actually an old Dutch farmhouse from the 1600's updated to a small guest house.We were near a national park which was the home for an endangered tortoise, among other wildlife. We saw a number of them as we hiked. Susan and I joined Mary and Phil on a 14 km hike that covered desert and dune environments.It was about 90 degrees that day so we drank lots of water. The scenery was incredible and the beaches pristine. It took us almost 6 hours and we didn't see another person during the hike.

The Farmhouse is right on a salt water lagoon so the view was excellent.In fact, all of our accommodations have had beautiful views.

The plane ride home was long but as comfortable as a 20 hour flight can be. At least Delta fed us at meal times. When I took the plane from NYC to Atlanta, they were selling the snacks.We even had complimentary wine on the overseas Delta flight.I got to Atlanta Thanksgiving evening in time for my grandparent duties to babysit with the boys for the rest of the weekend.They actually sat through half of my photos before they got bored.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I have certainly been enjoying your trip to Africa. Cannot wait to find out why pictures did not work on your travels. Thank you for letting me share in your fun.