Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Day on the Combahee River






I spent a few days with my brother and sister-in-law in Beaufort recently. We saw The Secret Life of Bees which was quite good and on Monday, Jimmy and I went out in his new jon boat to try to catch some fish. While we didn't catch any fish, it was a beautiful day on the river.We saw egrets, lots of crows, swallows, great blue herons and a wood stork. Since the weather was still warm, numerous butterflies flitted around the purple asters and the goldenrod.Some of the cypress trees had russet colored leaves and others, like the one in the photo, were weighted down with Spanish moss.




There were several cottages built on the little bits of solid land in the marshes. The one in the photo was particularly appealing with cedar shake shingles and a boat dock under the house.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I am going to try this again. You did great. If I could write worth a hoot I would try this too. It really looks like fun

Nita said...

But you are so good with pictures! I'm not a great writer, either.