Monday, October 20, 2008

Fall at the beach

We had our first cool night last night but today was a beautiful fall day. I spent much of it inside doing my part with the phone bank at Democratic headquarters. I really don't like to make phone calls. I suppose I fear rejection but today I got to call committed Obama supporters to remind them that they could vote early.That was fun because there is so much excitement about the election, especially on the part of the African-American voters I spoke with. One 85 year old lady said " Bless Jesus, I've waited all of my life for this."

Now I have the Malarone for my trip, the newest anti-malarial medication.My friend Susan and I will share it since I have twice as much as I need.I have about $3700 in Rand, the South African currency. The US dollar is about the same against the Rand as it was 8 years ago so that is good news. Gas stations take cash only and we will be in some areas that have few ATM's.

Tomorrow I'm doing my monthly detox fast, drinking only cranberry juice and water.It makes me feel good, clears my head and I usually drop a couple of pounds.I'm hoping to be able to get in my usual exercise on the trip.

This is just practice for the trip where I'm sure I can write about more interesting things.

Nita

No comments: